Area Rep: Cori Alice [email protected]
Crowders Mountain State Park provides convenient climbing near a major NC city. With easily accessible top rope anchors on a number of crags and quality bolted lead routes, Crowders has a little something for everyone. Throw in the Dixon School Road boulders (reached via the aptly named Boulders entry) and you have quite the climbing resource.
This same proximity to a big city and easy access also make for sometimes crowded conditions, particularly on nice weekends. Please be careful when accessing the tops of the crags and spires at Crowders, slip and fall accidents are entirely too common here.
Crowders is located in Kings Mountain, NC just outside of Charlotte. You can find full info on the park on their web site.
What to Expect
Fun climbing on interesting rock with sport and trad routes ranging from 5.5 to 5.13. Be aware that this is a popular area and you will likely be sharing the crag with a number of other climbers.
- Both the roped climbing and the bouldering are in the state park and subject to their regulations, including the need to fill out a permit
- Crowders has special limitations on organized groups and a limited number of group permits per day
- New routes are not permitted
- No roped climbing at Dixon School Road, bouldering only
- Please repect the closure times posted on the sign in the parking lot and plan to be back at your car before the area closes
Backcountry camping is available in the park. Do not camp in non-designated areas.
Crowders is well covered in Carolina Rocks - the Piedmont.