The Rumble is presented by The Riveter and the Carolina Climbers Coalition
The mission of the Rumble is to have a community event that celebrates our access at Rumbling Bald, gathers the community, and raises funds for CCC's stewardship and access efforts. As a partial owner of Rumbling Bald, we are thrilled to maintain this climbing access for generations of climbers.
A portion of Rumble proceeds will go to the Town of Lake Lure to benefit the expansion of the Buffalo Creek Parking lot.
- Registration fees are non-refundable. We reserve the right to adjust the competition dates depending on weather to ensure the safety of everyone involved. If the comp is canceled for any reason your registration fee will cover costs of the Rumble or become a donation to the CCC. If Saturday is rained out, Sunday will be the make up day.
- You can register up to 4 people at a time and use the same email address for all of them if needed, please be sure to to select the category, t-shirt size and provide complete info for everyone
- Online registration closes on 3/4 at noon - no exceptions. If any spots remain they will be available on-site that evening and the morning of the comp.
- Camping at Morse Park (~2 miles from Rumbling Bald) is free with registration. Camping times start at 5:00PM on Friday 3/4 and clean up by 10:00AM on Sunday 3/6. This is the same location as the after party/ awards ceremony. Please set up your tent 10' away from other tents.
- Lodging: If you are looking for tiny home glamping pods, yurts, RV hookups, try Emberglow Resort. Also try Rumbling Bald on Lake Lure who ware offering a 10% discount with this code: THERUMBLE030422.
- Pets are discouraged at the Rumble event.
- Because we believe a good climber is not just someone who climbs V12, but commits to supporting access and stewardship, CCC members and climbers participating in any stewardship day lead by the CCC in 2022 will recieve a small amount of bonus points for the comp. You can check your membership status online. Keep posted on our events page for stewardship dates. 3/6 will be a stewardship date that will count towards your score as well.
- Volunteers: There are volunteer opportunities. If interested in helping volunteer for the Rumble, email Bryce at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for a spot.
- Spectators: Spectators can enter Rumbling Bald free of charge, we just ask that they board the shuttle bus leaving from Morse Park last to let the competitors get up first. Spectators can expect to view climbers in the boulder fields and cliffs of Rumbling Bald. Spectators are also welcome at the after party at Morse Park with food and beverages serves as a donation. Sponsoring brands will have tents set up as well. There will be a DJ and music at the after party. Spectators are also welcome to come to the stewardship day to perform trail work on Sunday, meeting at the Rumbling Bald trail head at 10:00.
- Asset Map: Looking for other things to do in the area, take a look at the Hickory Nut Gorge Asset Map.
- Bouldering Score Card: Top 10 in your category. One problem is allowed above your category. Not all problems are graded the same as Mt Proj or the BrayackMedia Guide.
- Roped Climbing Score Card: Strategy is key for the ropes comp. Use this to strategize: Click Here
What do I get with registration? Free camping, Rumble T-shirt, comp guidebook (this is not the BrayackMedia guidebook), free entry to the afterparty, and knowledge that you are supporting access and stewardship efforts at climbing areas throughout the Carolinas.
Can I spectate or climb without registering? Spectators are welcome to come out and watch during the event. Non- registered climbers are welcome to climb at Rumbling Bald while the event is taking place. Spectators and Non-registered climbers will be shuttled up to the Rumbling Bald climbing access area AFTER all event participants and volunteers have arrived at the climbing area. These shuttles will likely start running for spectators/non-paid climbers at around 10am.
Can I bring my pet? Pets are discouraged at the Rumble event. Pets are allowed to be on Chimney Rock State Park property, leashed at all times.
Can I get a refund? Please note that registration fees are non-refundable. This is a fundraiser for the Non-Profit organization Carolina Climbers Coalition. There is a lot of planning that goes into making this event safe and awesome. It takes a lot to organize an event of this nature/magnitude with linking partners from Chimney Rock State Park, Chimney Rock Management LLC, Town of Lake Lure, Lake Lure Police, Lake Lure Fire Department, Lake Lure Town Council, Sponsors, Volunteers, and others.
Safety? Please climb safe. Do NOT push your limits on safety, especially during the comp. If you are contemplating a climb that you know is at your limit and you know is not protected well, save it for another day. Please do not let the competition compromise your judgement in personal safety. If you see someone doing something that is clearly unsafe for them and their apparent skill level, say something in a supportive way that will steer their attention to more reasonable goals. All climbing is at your own risk.
What if I just want to “enjoy the festivities” and camp? Camping is included with participants registration cost. Non-registered people can camp at the cost of $10 donation per person. You will need to purchase raffle tickets if you want to have access to the beer on site.
Shuttles? Shuttles will leave Morse Park beginning at 8AM and bring compeitiors and spectators to Rumbling Bald throughout the day.
Can I volunteer? Rumble volunteers get a free meal Sat night, beer ticket for those of age, free T-shirt, and free high fives. If interested in volunteering, contact Bryce at email@example.com
Do I have to be a CCC annual member to participate? No. But, if you believe in the CCC’s mission of protecting, preserving, and expanding climbing opportunities in the Carolinas, we hope you will consider becoming an annual member. CCC members also get a discount on registration in addition to several other tangible benefits.
Why is the CCC putting on this event? The Carolina Climbers Coalition is committed to preserving, protecting and expanding our climbing opportunities in our region. The Rumble is our main event to raise money for our cause and engage with our awesome climbing community. The Town of Lake Lure, Village of Chimney Rock, and area businesses also love to see the influx of climbers coming to visit and patronize their businesses in the dead of winter. Our economic impact of climbers will help gain access to new areas within the greater region. An additional percent of proceeds raised during the Rumble will be given to the Town of Lake Lure in support of expanding the Buffalo Creek Boulders Parking Lot.
Weather policy? The Rumble is an outdoor event and the weather can have a mind of its own. We reserve the right to adjust the competition dates and or time depending on weather to ensure the safety of everyone involved. There could be delays in the start time for the event if weather dictates that is the best course of action. We will post updates on the status of the comp, with regards to weather, on our website and social media platforms. All registered participants will also receive email updates. Make sure to check in often if weather looks to be an issue. If the event is cancelled due to weather, your registration fee will go towards the CCC’s efforts of expanding, protecting, and preserving climbing in the Carolinas.
- 12:00 PM: Online Registration closes.
- 5:00-8:00 PM: In-person registration and check in begins at the Lake Lure Town Hall, right next to Morse Park. Camping is available at Morse Park. Camping is free for registrants, volunteers, and sponsors. Vendor set up will begin at 5:00 PM.
- 7:30 AM: Check in and in-person registration (if event is not sold out) opens in the Lake Lure Town Hall, next to Morse Park.
- 8:00 AM: Shuttles will lead from Morse Park to Rumbling Bald. Registrants or spectators can not park at Rumbling Bald. They must take the shuttle buses.
- 9:45 AM: Safety briefing in the Rumbling Bald parking lot.
- 10:00 AM: RUMBLE BEGINS!
- 4:30 PM: All score cards must be turned into the boxes in the parking lot. Score cards will not be accepted after 4:30PM.
- 5:00 PM: After party at Morse Park with sponsors, food, free high fives to CCC members and supporters. CCC membership drive. Shuttle buses stop running at this time. If you are late, you will have to walk.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner served for $10 in Morse Park. Please bring cash.
- 8:30 PM: Scores announced, winner swag give away
- 8:30 AM: Morse Park Clean Up
- 10:00 AM: Rumbling Bald Stewardship Day: Meet in the Rumbling Bald Parking lot. Bring your favorite trail tool or one will be provided. Note: Because we believe a good climber is not just someone who climbs V12, but commits to supporting access and stewardship, bonus points are given to competitors for those attending the stewardship day or any CCC-lead stewardship day in 2022.
- 2:00 PM: Stewardship day is done.
Lake Lure, NC 28746
|Adult - CCC Member||$ 50.00|
|Adult - Non-CCC Member||$ 65.00|
|Youth (15 and under)||$ 35.00|