The Rumble 2024 is presented by Cultivate Climbing and the Carolina Climbers’ Coalition.
Climbing, Community, and Conservation
The Rumble is all about bringing the climbing community together to celebrate the CCC’s access at Rumbling Bald. Get ready for an exciting weekend of our 9th annual Rumble! The Rumble is one of the only outdoor ropes and bouldering competitions on the East Coast. Whether you're a seasoned climber or just starting out, we've got you covered. With a variety of diverse categories within your climbing discipline, you can showcase your skills and compete for amazing prizes from our sponsors.
This event raises essential funding for the CCC's stewardship and access efforts. A portion of the Rumble proceeds will also go to North Carolina Friends of State Parks, supporting their amazing access work in Chimney Rock State Park.
*EXCLUSIVE DISCOUNT FOR CULTIVATE CLIMBING MEMBERS*
For only $75, secure your spot at the Rumble AND receive a one-year CCC peregrine membership! You’ll also snag a custom piece of Rumble x Cultivate merch! This offer is only available until February 22nd so don’t miss out.
- Camping at Morse Park (~2 miles from Rumbling Bald) is free with registration. Camping times start at 5:00 PM on Friday 3/1 and clean up by 8:00 PM on Sunday 3/3. This is the same location as the after party/ awards ceremony. Please set up your tent 10' away from other tents.
- Lodging: If you are not interested in camping, consider staying at a local business in town and let them know you are visiting the area for climbing! Rumble participants receive discounts with many local businesses.
- All Climbing is at Your Own Risk: You are responsibile for your own safety
- Volunteers: Volunteers get discounted registration if they sign up for at least 2 volunteer roles. Learn more about volunteer roles here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0948AFAB2FAAFCC70-47216752-2023
- Asset Map: Looking for other things to do in the area, take a look at the Hickory Nut Gorge Asset Map.
- Bouldering Score Card: Top 10 in your category. One problem is allowed above your category. Not all problems are graded the same as Mt Project or the BrayackMedia Guide.
- Roped Climbing Score Card: Strategy is key for the ropes comp. 2024 Ropes Scoresheet.
- You Must Bring Your Own Equipment: Roped climbs must be set up by you, the competitor, with your own equipment. Bouldering pads and roped climbing gear will not be provided.
- Bonus Points for Competitors: Because we believe that a good climber is not just someone who climbs hard, but someone who gives back to the community and land, bonus points will be given for climbers who attend a CCC trail day in 2024, and are current CCC members.
- You can register up to 4 people at a time and use the same email address for all of them if needed, please be sure to to select the category, t-shirt size and provide complete info for everyone.
- Online registration closes on 3/1 at noon - no exceptions. If any spots remain they will be available on-site that evening and the morning of the comp.
- T-shirt - registrants will be given a festival T. We can not guarantee your size and it will be first come, first serve at check-in on the day-of.
- Weather/ No Refunds - if Saturday is rained out, we will shift to Sunday. If Sunday is also rained out, the event will be cancelled. Refunds are not possible. If cancelled, or if you can not attend, please see your registration as a donation to CCC's ongoing access and stewardship efforts.
Tentative 2024 Schedule
- 9am-2:00PM: Tentative stewardship day. Local and project TBA.
- 5:00-8:00PM: Rumble Check in and registration at Lake Lure Town Hall.
- Camping at Morse Park (2 minute walk from Town Hall).
- 7:00 AM: Check-in and in-person registration opens in the Lake Lure Town Hall.
- 8:00 AM: Shuttles will lead from Morse Park to Rumbling Bald. Registrants or spectators can not park at Rumbling Bald. They must take the shuttle buses.
- 9:45 AM: Safety briefing in the Rumbling Bald parking lot.
- 10:00 AM: RUMBLE BEGINS! If we move fast, we can start even earlier!
- 5:00 PM: All scorecards must be turned into the boxes in the parking lot. Scorecards will not be accepted after 5:00 PM.
- 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM: After party and vendor village at Morse Park with sponsors, food, drinks, games, raffle and more.
- 6:00 PM: Shuttle buses stop running at this time. If you are late, you will have to walk.
- 6:45 PM: Dinner served in Morse Park.
- 7:30 PM: Scores announced and winner swag giveaway.
- 9:00 PM: Raffle drawing
- 10:30 PM: Quiet hours at Morse Park.
Sunday 3/3: Rain Date in case of inclement weather on 3/2/24.
- 9am-2:00PM: Tentative stewardship day. Local and project TBA.
What do I get with registration? Free camping, Rumble T-shirt (exact size not guaranteed), digital comp guidebook (this is not the BrayackMedia guidebook), small breakfast Saturday morning, dinner on Saturday night, free entry to the vendor village with games, food, drink and raffle for amazing prizes.
Can I spectate or climb without registering? Spectators are welcome to come out and watch during the event. Non- registered climbers are welcome to climb at Rumbling Bald while the event is taking place. Spectators and Non-registered climbers will be shuttled up to the Rumbling Bald climbing access area AFTER all event participants and volunteers have arrived at the climbing area. These shuttles will likely start running for spectators/non-paid climbers at around 10 am.
Can I bring my pet? Pets are discouraged at the Rumble event. Pets are allowed to be on Chimney Rock State Park property, leashed at all times.
Can I get a refund? Please note that registration fees are non-refundable. This is a fundraiser for the Non-Profit organization Carolina Climbers Coalition. There is a lot of planning that goes into making this event safe and awesome. It takes a lot to organize an event of this nature/magnitude with linking partners from Chimney Rock State Park, Chimney Rock Management LLC, Town of Lake Lure, Lake Lure Police, Lake Lure Fire Department, Lake Lure Town Council, Sponsors, Volunteers, and others.
Safety? Please climb safe. Do NOT push your limits on safety, especially during the comp. If you are contemplating a climb that you know is at your limit and you know is not protected well, save it for another day. Please do not let the competition compromise your judgment in personal safety. If you see someone doing something that is clearly unsafe for them and their apparent skill level, say something in a supportive way that will steer their attention to more reasonable goals. All climbing is at your own risk.
Will someone set up ropes for me or supply equipment for me? No
What if I just want to “enjoy the festivities” and camp? Camping is included with the participant's registration cost. Non-registered people can camp at the cost of $20 donation per person. You will need to purchase raffle tickets if you want to have access to the beer on site.
Shuttles? Shuttles will leave Morse Park beginning at 8 AM and bring competitors and spectators to Rumbling Bald throughout the day.
Can I volunteer? Rumble volunteers who take on 2 or more volunteer roles get discounted registration to the climbing competition. If you do not want to participate in the competition, you do not need to register for the event on this page. If interested in helping volunteer for the Rumble, head to this link and sign up for a role: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0948AFAB2FAAFCC70-47216752-2023
Do I have to be a CCC annual member to participate? No. But, if you believe in the CCC’s mission of protecting, preserving, and expanding climbing opportunities in the Carolinas, we hope you will consider becoming an annual member. CCC members also get a discount on registration in addition to several other tangible benefits.
Why is the CCC putting on this event? The Carolina Climbers Coalition is committed to preserving, protecting and expanding our climbing opportunities in our region. The Rumble is our main event to raise money for our cause and engage with our awesome climbing community. The Town of Lake Lure, Village of Chimney Rock, and area businesses also love to see the influx of climbers coming to visit and patronize their businesses in the dead of winter. Our economic impact of climbers will help gain access to new areas within the greater region. An additional percent of proceeds raised during the Rumble will be given to a land conservation and access organization.
Weather policy? The Rumble is an outdoor event and the weather can have a mind of its own. We reserve the right to adjust the competition dates and or time depending on the weather to ensure the safety of everyone involved. There could be delays in the start time for the event if the weather dictates that is the best course of action. We will post updates on the status of the comp, with regards to weather, on our website and social media platforms. All registered participants will also receive email updates. Make sure to check in often if weather looks to be an issue. If the event is canceled due to weather, your registration fee will go towards the CCC’s efforts of expanding, protecting and preserving climbing in the Carolinas.
Thank you to all volunteers, staff, registrants, and support people for helping us make this happen!
Lake Lure, NC 28746
|Adult - Registration + CCC Peregrine Membership
|Adult - CCC Member Registration
|Youth (15 and under)
|Rumble Volunteer Competitor
|Rumble Volunteer Non-Competitor
|Cultivate Member + CCC Peregrine Membership Registration