The CCC, National Forest, and North Carolina WIldlife Resource Commission work closely to ensure that peregrine closures provide a proper buffer for nesting peregrines and climbers. The following climbing areas are affected by closures:
The peregrine closure at Short Off (south- between CO and Paradigm Shift)) as well as Victory Wall have been lifted as of March 15, 2021. North End of Moores Wall closure is lifted.
National Forest Closure Orders pertinent to climbers from Jan 15- Aug 15 unless lifted early. See the forest service PDF listing for more detail:
- Pickens Nose (East Face closed)
- Whiteside (Between and including Southwest Arete to Mainline)
- Looking Glass Rock (Routes right of Glass Menagerie and left of Twisted Laurel)
- North Cedar (Routes Baynes Corner and left to Groove Thang. No foot traffic below cliff in this section)
- Short Off North (there are no established routes in this area, it is far past all established routes.)
- NC Wall (Apricot, Camel are closed, Bumblebee to Tightrope are closed)
- Big Lost Cove (all routes closed)
Other peregrine closures:
- Whitehouse Cliffs, Rocky Fork State Park (closed January and February for peregrine observation period)
- Table Rock State Park (All routes on Walker Buttress to Watergroove Wall closed. Update as of 2020: Main Wall to Pumpkintown is open year round!)
- Laurel Knob (Routes from Fathom to Permission Granite are closed until Aug 15.)
Please respect Peregrine closures!