Land Manager: State of NC, Chimney Rock State Park & CCC for the West Side Boulders
Area rep: Shannon Millsaps firstname.lastname@example.org
Rumble Video 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0-82RHdFgo
Southern exposure, classic lines of all grades and world class bouldering make Rumbling Bald a mandatory part of the winter climbing circuit in the South. From long slab routes to overhung roof cracks, Rumbling Bald has something for everyone. That same southern orientation and an abundance of poison ivy mean that summers at the Bald aren't for climbing. With the new climber's parking lot in place, traffic to the Bald has exploded in recent years. Please be courteous and follow the rules. The CCC owns 6 acres of the West Side boulders (French Maid, Louis Lunge, Shady Grove and more), your support is what made that happen!
Parking Address/ GPS
973-999 Boys Camp Rd
Lake Lure, NC 28746
GPS: 35.44382 N, 82.21916 W
Thank you NC State Parks for expanding the current parking. If the lot is full, go to the Chimney Rock Village Boulders or Buffalo Creek Boulders, both located nearby and opened by the CCC.
Rumbling Bald is partially owned by Chimney Rock State Park, partially owned by the CCC, and partially private land. Some of the climbing and bouldering is now out of private hands and protected, but more remains to be done. The CCC asks that you help out as much as possible with future access. Please follow the simple ideals below.
- Leave No trace. Pack out what you pack in. Pick up trash from others
- NO camping at the parking lot or at the crags
- Be courteous and respectful of non-climbers that you see on the mountain
- Patronize local shops and restaurants. Let them know that you are a climber. We need to make the locals undestand that climbers and other outdoors types are a valuable source of tourist dollars.
- Please note that the South side is the only area currently open to climbing
- Be sure to fill out a climbing permit at the kiosk in the parking lot
2016 Climbing Management Plan
NOTE: this was written in 2016 and much of it is out of date. Use this as a reference and contact the CCC or Chimney Rock State Park with any questions: /sites/default/files/DPR-Approved-CHRO-park%20climbing%20plan%206-16-16-jl%20%281%29.pdf
Visit this link for camping info: http://www.lake-lure.com/campgrounds.html
Up to date guides are currently available in local shops and on-line. Bouldering is covered in Chris Dorrity's Rumbling Bald Bouldering Guide and roped routes are in Mike Reardon and Sean Cobourn's Rumbling Bald Rock Climbs