Note: you must fill out a waiver each year to hike or climb in this area. Waiver is found here.
The Stony Mountain Vineyard, one private land owner, and the Carolina Climbers Coalition have confirmed an access agreement for boulders on two parcels on Stony Mountain. This access agreement is not a permanent solution for firm access but it is a great start! Huge thanks to land owners, the Tridicos, as well as Stony Mountain Vineyards for allowing climbing and trail access to their properties.
Area Rep: Wade Parker firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: http://stonymountainvineyards.com/ 26370 Mountain Ridge Rd, Albemarle, NC 28001. Please park in the lower parking lot, located on the left side of the road and on the opposite side of the road as the winery. There are recycle bins in this lot.
Access: The CCC is currently building a trail to each one of the two boulder fields. The trails leave from the same parking lot, which is the parking for Stony Mountain Vineyards. After climbing, consider purchasing some the Winery's delights. They have been wonderful access partners, please thank them!
Peppermint Loop Trail: (currently under construction by our C4 team and CCC volunteers): 5-15 minutes. Walk across the street, into the the winery parking lot. You will see our trail signs from there. Head south from the parking on the trail. In a few minutes, you'll see the first cluster of boulders. There are 10-15 good boulders on the property. Do not venture too far south, as it is private property. Pay attention to defined trails and stick to them. Please do not attempt to climb on boulders southwest of the defined trail as they are on private land and could affect access.
Stony Mountain Hiking Trail: (currently under construction by our C4 team and CCC volunteers): 5-10 minutes. Walk across the street, into the the winery parking lot. You will see our trail signs from there. Head north west on newly constructed trail, towards the road you drove in on. Cross the road to pick up the trail again, accessing 3-4 of the boulders on Winery property. The trail then crosses back across the street again to access 4 other boulders on Winery property.
- All trail users- hikers and climbers alike- must have filled out this liability waiver before using the trails. If you do not fill out this waiver, you will be considered an unlawful trespasser.
- If you chose to hike or climb here, you are voluntarily assuming all risk of injury or death.
- No camping or overnight parking
- Please remain quiet while on the trails and boulders
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult
- Respect neighboring land owners and do not venture out of the trail corridors. Private property parcels exist near the current trail alignments
- Users of this area will not trespass on nearby private property or otherwise negatively affect the relationships with neighbors
- No usage of fires, stoves, grills
- Dogs must be on a leash
- Do not cut or remove vegetation
- Leave No Trace by staying on established trails and removing chalk from rock.